For some reason the idea of a night light stuck with me from the original assignment prompt, and the idea of little glowing, pulsating lights seemed to fit in perfectly.
So, to begin with, I realized that the LEDs I had acquired were of a differing level of intensity. The green could barely be seen against the red, and the blue outshone them all. So I decided to focus on the transition between the different colors rather than the mixing of the colors themselves.
The kind of technologically embedded objects that intrigue me the most are the ones that revel in the differences their materials posses, rather than try to hide them. In any event, what I did was take a nice little piece of walnut that I had (which had a knot in it) and use it as the body for the night light.
I then hooked up the arduino, breadboard, and LEDs to the back of the piece of walnut so that when they lit up, they would emit a broad glow around the walnut and onto the wall behind it.
It was a simple enough hook up, but what I would have liked to have done is hook up a battery pack so that the light could have stood on its own without the cord coming out its side.